First-quarter earnings season was in full swing this week, with big banks taking center stage as they reported results that generally exceeded Wall Street’s predictions. Key factors contributing to big banks’ positive earnings were rising interest rates, which permitted those banks to charge more for loans, and the new tax laws that trimmed corporate tax rates from 35% to 21%.
Summary of big banks’ earning reports
One of the major indicators of a company’s profitability is its earnings per share (EPS), which is a measurement of the company's profits in relation to the number of outstanding shares of common stock.
This week, all four of the big U.S. banks beat analysts’ forecasts (estimate) with the following EPS results (actual):
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM): EPS (Actual/Estimate): $2.37/$2.28
- Citigroup Inc. (NYSE: C): EPS (Actual/Estimate): $1.68/$1.61
- Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE: WFC): EPS (Actual/Estimate): $1.12/$1.07
- Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC): EPS (Actual/Estimate): 62 cents/59 cents
What does this mean for you?
This news may be good for your MoneyLion Plus investment portfolio, as all four of these banks are in the top 25 holdings of the Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (out of 3,619 total stocks; as of 4/18/18) in which you invest.
But while these profits may be good for you as an investor, they may come at your expense as a consumer. A large percentage of big banks’ profits come from tens of billions in overdraft and ATM fees every year -- and those fees are paid by consumers just like you.
MoneyLion Plus members really can have it all
How can consumers avoid falling prey to unnecessary bank fees? MoneyLion Plus has the answer. As a MoneyLion Plus member, you’re building your savings as an investor and soon you can enjoy VIP banking with no overdraft, ATM, or hidden fees and 0% APR cash advances as part of your membership.
Not a MoneyLion Plus member?
MoneyLion Plus (learn more: online | mobile) is a first-of-its-kind membership that gives you a 5.99% APR loan whenever you need it, a guided investment account, and $1 daily cashback. Good credit is not required, and you’ll get $10 when you sign up!
MoneyLion Plus membership required. View full terms and conditions here.
Checking accounts will be offered through a third-party partner bank, Member FDIC.
- Not FDIC Insured or Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value. The guided investment account is subject to risks, including but not limited to the loss of principal. Not bank or FDIC insured. This advertisement should not be construed as a recommendation regarding the suitability of purchasing a particular security or securities in general.